Re: [FWDLK] 61 Dodge Squad

The May/June, 1994, issue of "High Performance Cars" (a "Cars
& Parts" publication) had an article on a 1961 Dodge Polara
CHP car that was restored by a CHP officer, George Caravas.
It has some good photos of the exterior and interior (including
dash and steering wheel).

This car has neither the Polara grille crossbar nor "Polara"
namplates on the front fenders.   Side trim was from the Dart
Seneca station wagon.  The article states the car has the Polara
D-500, 383-cid V8, putting out 320 bhp.

In the article they made the statement, ".... George discovered
that the '61 Dodge was a police special based on the 122-
inch wheelbase of the full-size Polara, but with the bodywork
of the 118-inch Dodge Dodge Dart, extended by four inches
in the rear fenders."   Other than that erroneous statement,
the article is quite good.

I haven't read the book Mike Sealey mentioned, so this
Polara may very well be the same Polara shown in the book.

The December, 1999, issue of "Collectible Automobile" had
an article on the 1960-1961 Dodge.  There is a page with
information on the Dodge Police Pursuits of 1960 and 1961,
along with photos of George Caravas's 1961 Polara.

"The Dodge Story", by Thomas A McPherson, has a side view
photo of a 1961 Dodge Dart police car on page 203, along
with a short caption describing the engines (from 318-cid
V8 to the 325-bhp Police Special) and models available.

As for production figures, as these cars were "trim" options,
and not separate series, I have never seen any figures
published.  Chrysler Historical might be able to help there.

Bill W
Vancouver, BC