Re: [FWDLK] Correct '59 Dodge glovebox door emblem colors are..?

--- sartana <sartana@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anyone know what the correct colors are for the
> glovebox door emblem on the 1959 Dodge Custom
> Royal Lancer? I can make out the white and red
> but not sure what the bottom color should be.
> Blue? Black? Thanks for any help.

The lower color is black, and there's kind of an
interesting story behind that. William Newberg, who
was later president of Chrysler for 61 days before
being forced to resign, was president of Dodge
Division in the '50s. His wife was either an artist or
an interior decorator (involved in the arts in some
way, I forget what) and she was a strong believer in
the power of red and black as a color combination. I
remember reading somewhere that red and black was the
recommended color combo on D-500/D-500-1 cars when
they first came out in '56, altho this may not have
had any more than the power of suggestion (sure seen
plenty of 'em in other factory colors...)

Look thru Dodge catalogs ang magazine ads thru the
'50s, and you'll see red/black more often than (for
example) red/white. Mrs. Newberg might've been on to
something there...