[FWDLK] [Fwd: fuel tank pickup tube]

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: John Bartell <jrbartell@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:55:50 -0500
Hi all,
        I had been trying to get the fuel tank pickup tube on my 59 wagon open
and cleaned out.  It was plugged tight after sitting 20+ years. I tried
blowing it out, spraying carb cleaner in it, ran a very light coat
hanger in and out like a pipe cleaner...some progress, but it kept
plugging with tar and varnish.   I then tried heating the tube with a
propane torch.  If you want to see some crap come out of an old pickup
tube, heat it up!  It was like a two inch long  X 1/4 in. diameter,
black, tar worm.  After a few more rinsings with the carb cleaner, it is
as clean and open as a new one!  I did not know if anyone else on the
list ever tried this, but I thought I would pass it along.
        One more week until school starts.  I had better get my brakes done on
the wagon, before my pedal pumpers aren't around when I need them!

 John in Wi

--- End Message ---