[FWDLK] Forward Look Bomber?

Hi folks,

Just north of my small town is a 1/4-mile-circumference dirt automotive race
track.  One of the race classes is "Bomber."  A Bomber is characterized by
(1) being American made, (2) 112" minimum wheelbase, (3) minimum weight -
after the race with the driver - of 3,700 lbs., and (4) built with entirely
"stock" components - no aftermarket performance components.  In addition
there's the safety factors such as roll cage, fuel cell, no glass, welded
doors, nor exterior trim.   The Bomber class is targeted towards the
light-budget racer. (Another class is "Street Stock" in which all the
performance goodies can be installed.  In this class there's a '57 Chevy
race car that's fun to watch.  Again, it'd be cool to see a Forward Look
Street-Stock car compete - but that class is beyond by skill/guts level at
this time.)

Most of the registered Bombers are GM products, from the late '60s to late
'70s, and are powered by GM 350-400 cid engines and have Powerglide 2-speed
autos.  As a spectator who's a Mopar fan, I can't help but daydream of a
classy, competitive Mopar to "play along."  Particularly unique would be a
Forward Look era Mopar Bomber race car.

Recently I acquired a '55 Plaza 4-door as an "extra parts car" for my '55
Belvedere.  But the most interesting component to me from the Plaza is the
overdrive transmission and 4.11 rear end.  So I've been musing at the
thought of making the Plaza a "Bomber."  I can put any "stock" Mopar engine
under the hood - such as a 383 - and use any "stock" Mopar transmission and
driveline.  Suspension has to contain stock components (e.g. '56 Fury
springs).

I thought I'd post this and get some input from the group as to the "Ideal
Forward Look Bomber-Class Dirt Track Car."  I'm thinking if I were to get
serious about such an endeavor, I would want to use a torsion-bar chassis
for improved handling - and a 4-door body (for cheapness and to "preserve"
the 2-door bodies).  One car that comes to mind is a '59 Dodge with a 392 -
perhaps the police package.  Other options available in a local junk yard
are a '56 Savoy 4-door, '59 Belvedere 4-door, and '57 Firesweep 4-door.

E-mail me privately with your ideas.  Remember, this is just for fun - a
tickling of the imagination.  If I ever get serious (i.e. if the wife ever
gives me her "blessing" to do such a crazy thing), then I'll let y'all know
and solicit sponsorships (wouldn't "www.forwardlook.net" look great on the
rear quarters?).  LOL...

Jason Rogers.