[FWDLK] 1957 DeSoto power steering gearbox rebuild

[FWDLK] 1957 DeSoto power steering gearbox rebuild

Picked up my rebuilt power steering gearbox from my 57 DeSoto this
afternoon, as planned, from Power Brake X-change.  It was unpainted, as
promised.  (That made me very happy, since I was told that everyone wants
them painted, but I said "not to").  In fact, they had lightly bead-blasted
the whole unit and it looks like brand new!  As internals were in good
shape, the rebuilt was mostly cleaning up the sludge and putting in all new
seals and gaskets, then adjusting everything to specs.  All components were
micrometered to be sure they were within tolerances.

I was also concerned that upon removal of the end components (pitman arm
and steering shaft coupler, which I had left attached), I'd have a tough
time getting things back in the exact position.  However, they had dimpled
the mating surfaces of those components so I can align everything up just
as it was.  Much to my relief.

Price was as quoted, $285 +/-.  I say +/- because I bought a half-gallon of
PS fluid in bulk from them, and of course there was tax, so my total bill
was $313.  Their communication with me along the way was great.  I think I
got 4 phone calls just to let me know how things were going, and that it
was done, etc.

I DO recommend this company -- Power Brake X-change in Pittsburgh, PA.
1-800-580-5729

Ed Petrus