Re: [FWDLK] Recommended by: Tim Koah

Tim Koah wrote:

> One of your friends sent this email through our website.
> Friend's name: Tim Koah

Please do not send this type of advertisement to the list.  I guess it's been a while since I
posted list etiquette.  Here it is:

Hi All,

Now that we are as large as we are, it's more important than ever to
pay attention to mailing list ettiquitte.

So, here's a few things to think about before ya' send out
that next post...

1) PLEASE think about this before you send out a message. Ask yourself:
   Does everyone need to read this, or should I maybe just send this to
   one person specifically? Emailing the list asking if anyone knows
   how to replate pot metal would be just fine.  Emailing the list to
   ask one individual if they will be going to Thursday's local cruise
   night is bad. (You get the idea.)  This is the most important thing
   you need to do -- stay on topic, and keep personal conversations
   personal.  PLEASE

2) Before replying to a post, read ALL of your current list mail, as
   someone else may have already replied with the exact same thing.

3) The focus of most of the people on this list is restoration and preservation.
   While modified/customized cars are fine, please limit your questions and
   resonses to remain relevant to the list.  Asking about engine swaps etc.,  is
   fine, but once you find people willing to help, please move the discussion
   "off - list" and email each other privately.  This will help reduce the friction
   between some restorers and customizers.

4) When replying to an article it is not necessary to quote the entire
   article back to the list, use your editor to trim out all but what is
   relevant to your reply. This makes things a lot easier to read and
   saves bandwidth as well.

5) SENDING OUT POSTS IN ALL CAPS IS CALLED "SHOUTING".
   IT'S HARD TO READ,  AND MAY ANNOY SOME PEOPLE BADLY.
   (My mom types this way all the time... still can't get her to
   change...)

6) Please DO NOT post pictures or other attachments to the list. I'm
   working on getting us some web space to share photos and such.
   However, be aware that some people, like those on WebTV, can't open
   attachments. Besides, on a modem, they take a long time to download.
   Also, it will annoy me heavily, as whenever anyone sends a photo, I
   immediately get 25 error messages from juno.com filling my mailbox.
   (Juno cannot receive any attachments at all.)

7) "Flame wars" and bashing of other people's opinions, cars, etc are
   NOT permitted. The list is intended to be productive and
   informative. An animated discussion is fine, but remember, insults
   can hurt feelings.

8) "For Sale" and "Wanted" posts are fine, as long as the number of
   posts is within reason. Please, when possible, combine all your
   items wanted or items for sale into one message, rather than
   posting each item individually. Forwarding jokes, "virus warnings",
   advertisements, chain letters, and any other non-forward-look related
   material may be cause for removal from the list. (As for virus warnings,
   most that you receive will be FAKE.  I'm the head of antivirus measures
   for a company of 1500 people.  I will post relevant warnings to the list
   when necessary.)

9) If you are getting too many messages per day, you can set the
   listserv so that you only receive the list in "digest" form
   (1 a day).  Send a message to LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, with any
   "Subject", and in the body of the message type only:

   SET L-FORWARDLOOK DIGEST

   ... and then send the message.

If you have questions about any of the above, just drop me a line.

-Dave Stragand