Re: [FWDLK] Body to Frame Mounts

Ron Waters wrote:
>Is it true that all 55-59 Mopar convertibles had the body mounted directly
>to the frame (adding metal shims/spacers as required) and didn't use rubber
>body-to-frame bushings like the other models ?

Yes, it is true -- all MoPar convertibles from at least 1953 to 1958 used
steel cup spacers (p/n 1534042) between body and frame, in lieu of rubber
insulators. Interestingly, there is no listing in US-printed parts books for
any body mounting hardware. One has to consult the Canadian books to find
this information.

Part number 1534042 is shown in Group 23-C of the 1953 through 1958 Canadian
parts books (I don?t have a Canadian ?59 book). The dimensions of the cup
spacer are 13/32" ID, 2" OD x 17/32" thick. Judging by the way they rust,
they were neither painted nor plated.

The application of 1534042 is given as convertible coupe only (except in the
?58 book where all parts in Group 23-C are shown as applying to all body
types ?as required?). In the ?53 to ?56 books rubber insulators are shown
for all body types except convertibles. In the ?57 and ?58 books they are
shown for all body types ?as required?.

Eight cup spacers are used on early '55 Plymouth convertibles and ten are
used on late ?55 and all '56 Plymouth convertibles. Longer wheelbase makes
and ?57-58 models may require a greater number.

Robert Bishop
Vancouver, Canada