Re: [FWDLK] DOCUMENTED D500-1

Whoa. I really hate to see it get to this among
family.

Mike, have you ever sent for a build sheet for your
car? This at least has the potential to chill the
skeptics.

I seem to remember reading (I think this was the
Collectible Automobile article on the '56 D500s) that
the Dash One was supposedly limited to the Coronet
convertible and 2dr sedan, but that a few did not
match the description. (I think the '56 CRL 2drHT that
originally belonged to Tex Colbert's son was a Dash
One but I could be mistaken.)

If this car is a legit Dash One, it wouldn't be the
first time Chrysler ever built a car that wasn't
supposed to exist in a given option combo and body
style.

Without taking anything away from Mike or his car,
though, I do need to say that Cars & Parts doesn't
always get it right despite being a quality
publication. I remember some years ago they did a
piece on a '68 300 convertible, and the writer
described the car's "wildly optimistic 200-mph
speedometer". As anyone who has spent much time around
export versions of American cars has probably guessed,
this car has a metric speedometer (a 120-mph speedo
translates to 200 kph for the rest of the world). I
dropped C&P a line explaining this, and while the
writer (one of the hobby's most respected) was polite
in his response, he continued to insist that it was a
200-mph speedo based on there being no mention of
kilometers on its face (which wouldn't have been there
anyway, no more than miles would).

PS to Tim: Thanks for mentioning that not all Dash
Ones had dual carbs. Obviously I'll have to give the
Dash One-looking '56 Coronet 2dr sedan in MoPar Mel's
back lot another look...

Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
'57 Plymouth Sport Suburban

Tim