Re: [FWDLK] Restoration organization

Vincent,
I have been planning for I long time, I think that is most important.  Know
what you want to accomplish and put toghther a plan that is realistic with
your resources (primarily with respect to time but also $$$) I first
gathered all the tools that I think I will need. (engine hoist, parts
washer, wheel dollies, air compressor etc).
I also searched for machine shops, body shops and parts sources.
Once I decided that I could make the time and not run out of $$ I brought
the car in the garage and started from the front and worked my way back ( I
am currently up to the inside of the firewall)
Removed the front end, engine and trans.  KEEP VERY GOOD NOTES.  Draw
pictures of the wiring, hoses, anything that is not so obvious that you cant
forget how it goes back together. I am taking lots of pictures of every step
(for example placement of engine brackets) so I have something to reference
when it goes back together.  A digital camera helps a lot here.
I bought a box of envelops and tags. I tag every large with a  name and
where it goes.  Every nut, bolt ,washer and screw is put in an envelope and
marked with a description and/or diagram of where it goes. This takes a lot
of extra time and effort but if the car does not go back together for a year
or so you will be glad that you did.

I will next remove the dash, seats, interior panals, exterior chrome.
Then the fuel tank, exhaust etc.
Also be realistic about what you can and cannot do.  For me attempting the
bodywork would be a big mistake, I can do a passable job but for the quality
that I am looking for I am going to send it out.
Likewise stripping paint, not very difficult but time consuming and messy.
I found a local guy that does media blasting and can get the whole care done
for about $600 US.
I also learned that for the most part only the big time restoration shops
are interested in working on these cars.  I have to use 3 different
specailists (stripping, metalworking ,and paint) to get it done.  I think
that this is a good approach because I have each one doing what it does
best.  Not some apprentice on a collision shop practicing on my car in his
spare time.

Hope this helps,
Scott