[FWDLK] Back up lights

My 56 Plym Savoy 6cyl auto does not have backup lights. My guess is it was
an option.
Did the lights work off the puch button, or a switch on the trans. If the
switch is on the trans, is it just a means of me getting a switch and wiring
in some lights. If I put lights in, will I get enough light to light up
stuff behind the car.
My problem I'm trying to remedy is I have to back down about 150 foot
driveway when I take the car out and night and it's pitch black, making it
tough to see where I'm going.

Nick