Re: [FWDLK] Back up lights

Nick,

Back-up lamps did not become standard equipment across the board until 1966.
On the 1956 models, the switch is on the transmission case, same side as,
but farther ahead of, the speedometer cable.

The back-ip lamp package (if you could find one) is part # 1688 270.

The back-up lamp switch is # 1603 328 - this is for Powerflite (Torqueflite
and the standard transmission used a different switch).   This same switch
was used in 1955, and is also listed for the 1957-1958 Plymouth.  The cable
that runs from the transmission to the connector in the dash is either 61"
or 87"  (my parts book does not say which cable is used in which situation).

As to how much light is thrown, I'm not sure.  Never driven a 1956 Plymouth
at night, with or without back-up lights.  But it definitely would give you
some light to show what is behind you.

Bill
Vancouver, BC