Re: [FWDLK] 6 Volt-> 12 Volt conversion

DaimlerChrysler recently purchased my 55 C300 for use in their museum in MI.
With the car they received the 6-12 battery I have used for 5 years.  I also
installed the same system in my bosses 54 Pontiac 10 years ago.  These are
the perfect thing for a well used, compression challenged engine, especially
one used infrequently where gas disappears in the line and much cranking is
needed just to get fuel.  Although I doubt Chrysler left the system in place,
they should, as it works very well.  The 6 volt starter responds quickly to
the 12 volt whip.  The only downside to the plan is some extra wiring, and
all the conversation from purists that have to tell you that a 6 volt system,
when correct, is sufficient   What you get is two 6 volt batteries in a 12
volt sized case with an ugly solenoid switch perched on top.  When you
energize the switch, both 6 volt batteries pump juice to the starter, and
when the starter catches, the switch releases, causing the generator to
recharge both with 6 vilts each.  All the accessories and lights get but 6
volts.  It just sounds good when starting as an added goody.