[FWDLK] 58 torqueflight problems

 I have been battling to find reverse in the torqueflight of my 58
Savoy. I want to make sure it needs a rebuild before I commit to one.
Today I tried to remove the shifter cable and found the instructions in
the factory service manual virtually useless. It says to put the car in
1st gear and then insert a screw driver into the access hole and release
the spring lock that holds the cable. With the help of lights, mirrors,
screw drivers and similar devices I have failed. I cannot tell what I am
supposed to  move to release the spring lock or which way to move it.
How does this spring lock work?
 I gave up and decided to ask some of you that may have experience with
this dastardly piece. So I put everything back together and adjusted the
cable as per the Factory Service Manual instruction and when I put the
car in reverse it actually moved slowly backwards! That's the first time
since I've owned the car. I stopped  the car and put in drive and pulled
the car forward and tried reverse again. This time nothing just like
neutral.
 Does this sound like a worn or broken shifter cable? Does any one know
where one could be found?
 Even if it is the cable I still would like to know how to remove the
cable.
 Larry Gardinier