[FWDLK] trailer brakes

OOOOHHH   S--tttttt!!!!!
    That't what I said when I was trailering one of my 59 coupes home
from AR.   Enroute through St. Louis, I came across some IDIOT (to be
polite) backing up the ramp that I was exiting to, from one route to
another!  I came within inches of taking him,  myself and my passengers
to the promised land! (I hope)   I know for a fact, that if I had not
set up the trailer brakes on the trailer I had rented, we would have
collided.
    Most trailer brakes on rentals, are surge type, and have adjustable
shoes, just like a car. It only takes a few minutes to check these, and
you DO need to check them.   I had asked the rental outfit to double
check the brakes before I took the trailer...Yes Sir, we will!   BS!
One out of four wheels had some contact between the drum and shoes.   I
got a little dusty laying under the trailer, but I like dirty jeans
better than hospital gowns...they're drafty at best!  John in WI