[FWDLK] trans installation

 Guys,
 I'm at wit's end. I've been trying for two full days to install the
torqueflight in my 58 Savoy. The engine is in the car, I'm using a
rented transmission jack (35.00 per day). The problem is aligning the
pump with the torque converter. I've been lining them up visually and
then it takes about an hour or two of choice words and crud falling into
my eyes to get  the trans to the last 1/4 inch.  I'm able to thread the
4 bolts on with my fingertips, but the factory service manual says not
to force the trans on by tightening the bolts. According to the fsm if
it doesn't just slide right in, then the pump is not aligned. So far no
amount of jiggling or pushing has worked.
  Can I turn the torque converter and align it by feel?
I'm desperate, have any of you got any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
 Larry Gardinier