Re: [FWDLK] trans installation

Larry:
Is this the original transmission that was in the car? Is this the original
converter? Was the converter bell housing removed or replaced? Have the
alignment dowels in the spacer plate been replaced or moved? I ask these
questions because the converter may not be centered in the bell housing
opening, or the converter may be damaged.
If this is the original setup, you are probably correct in your pump sleeve
theory. You need to make (4) alignment dowels that will screw into the
transmission bolts holes in the bell housing. This will help center and
slide the transmission into the bell housing. Also, you must be sure the
transmission mounting face is parallel to the bell housing face. You can
turn the engine to align the pump tangs while you push the transmission into
the bellhousing. You can connect a push button starter switch to the starter
solenoid and crank the enging while pushing the trans into the bellhousing
(with the ignition coil DISCONNECTED). You should NOT have to force them
together!
However, since you have been having a lot of trouble, I would drop the
transmission and make sure the front ring on the pump sleeve is not broken.
In addtion, verify that the pump sleeve is in correctly (it can be put in
backwards). If it is in backwards, it sticks out too far, and the
transmission cannot be fully inserted.

regards,
Tom Noonan