[FWDLK] [Fwd: [FWDLK] reducing engine heat]

Forgot to forward to the rest.
--- Begin Message ---
  • From: cpollock@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:25:45 +0000
Hi Dave,
This is true.  The amount of time in a radiator will make the engine run
hotter/colder.  It really comes down to a balance or compromise where you have
to (really) determine what you are going to use the engine for.  With all the
coolers, thermostat, etc.  this is the set up I use on drag cars, where they
can cool all they want in the pits.  In a street car I run nothing colder than
a 180 thermostat for the reasons you stated.  Keep in mind the drag can also
uses a small radiator (read Griffin VW), and as such, there isn't as much
volume to the coolant.  This means everything circulates quicker.  Whereas my
street cars use larger, aluminum or copper radiators of large volume that can
deal with being used as a heat sink as you have stated.  So basically, it is
all a balancing act, and you run what works best with your application, even if
it is contrary to what is the stated facts at the time.  I.E. I don't polish my
heads when I port them because I believe the rough grinding marks break up the
boundary layer of incoming fuel charge and add a bit of swirl to the mixture.
Everyone thinks I'm nuts, but it works for me.
So use what works for you, and dust off those pesky Mustangs and Honda.
Nothing beats the expression on the face of the Honda pilot when you just ate
his lunch with a finned "barge"
(don't forget to take along some blue hair to throw at them at the next stop
light).

Oh, satisfaction,
CharginCharles--->>>