[FWDLK] wiring diagram question

I'm looking at a wiring diagram for my 56 Plymouth and the wire going to the
horn button is a solid wire except on cars with power steering, it shows two
little rectangular boxes in line. What are the boxes, do the represent wires
plugged together. Any idea what the difference is between the manual and
power steering. Actually while typing this, I'm thinking and here's my
guess. I noticed that you can disconnect the ps box from the column and on
the manual you can't. Since the wire goes up from the bottom of the box
through the column, I assume you would have to be able to unplug the wire
and those boxes represent plugs.

Anyone with any real insight to this ?

Thanks,
Nick