Re: [FWDLK] 727 vs 700R4

Dave,
    I want to put a 4 speed OD trans in my '56
DeSoto 330 (not an airplane ;)  The ideal trans-
mission will be one that will have parts available
for years to come.  Secondly, the installation should
be as painless as possible.
    There's so much I want to do to that car to make
it last.  Anyway, I'll do what I can starting with
the cheaper improvements first.

-bill

At 04:23 PM 2/25/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Bill,
>
>I thought a 747 was an airplane.
>
>The 727 TorqueFlight can be a tough tranny. It was used behind 426 Hemis.
>The GM 700R4 can also be built tough enough to take 500 foot pounds of
>torque,  but it usually is not strong enough without rebuilding with muscle
>parts. The GM 4L80-E can be built to take up to 700 ft-lbs of torque. If you
>are looking for an overdrive tranny, the Mopar A-518 is basically a 727 with
>an overdrive fourth gear. All of the above have adapters available to use
>them on most ForwardLook V8s: Hemis/Polys, and A-Polys.
>
>Dave Homstad
>56 Dodge D500

Test drive a DeSoto today!