[FWDLK] brake question

I have a friend that just got a 56 Belvedere. 4dr, v/8 automatic.
hw was working on the brakes, so to pull the rear drums, I lent him my
puller. I just talked to him (I have not seen the brakes yet) he told me
that he was able to just slide the drum off the hub, so the hub and drum are
seperate pieces. on my 56 savoy 6cyl, the rear drum and hub are one piece
and you need a puller to pull it off the tapered axle. So I'm confused.
Anyone shed any light on the subject. If it matters, the car only has 60k
miles on it, so I doubt they changed out the rear.
Both cars have the same braking system, just a little confused with the
drums.
I was thinking maybe they are replacement drums, which don't get pressed
onto the hub.

Thanks for any help

Nick, in NJ, soon to be buried in snow. the forecast is 1 to 2 feet starting
Sunday afternoon and stopping Tuesday