Re: [FWDLK] Did DeSoto make a 391 cu in ?

Re: [FWDLK] Did DeSoto make a 391 cu in ?

Argueably the fastest hemi of all time is a 291 cid DeSoto of the '55
vintage.  He went 360+mph at Bonneville.  When I asked him why not use the
392, he said it was too wide, the heads would stick out into the airstream
and show him down.  The biggest problem? finding heads.  They would fail
frequently and the team would have to buy entire engines, sometimes entire
cars, just to get fresh heads.  The team gave me three spare blocks a few
years ago, but don't ask if you can have one as I finally was able to get rid
of the things.....no body seemed to want them and they were in the way in my
garage.  The last taker showed up with a cherry picker and a truck, decided
it was too much trouble to unload the picker, put his arms through the
cylinder holes and lifted the block up on his truck.  My back still aches
from just remembering!   Larry Jett