[FWDLK] 6 v pertronix?

My 56 Ply wagon must have had 140000 miles on it when I got it and even then
I drove it at highway speeds fully loaded , several thousand miles before the
overhaul.  After overhauled did likewise for about 16,000 miles more.
Well I put a pertronix on my 56 277 wagon that has 12 v system, made little
difference.
All it does for me now is eliminate breaker point replacement every 8000 or
so miles.
But since I am not driving it 2000 miles a year MAX, means that if I DIDNT
make the conversion I would still only have to change points every FOUR (4)
years!!!!!!!!!!  And to do the conversion on my 56 I hadda get a used 62 dist
from a list member, total cost of all this 'improvement' was about $120????
Methinks that would have bought me Ten (or 40 years worth) of
points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ah improvements.
WHY did all the cars go to 12v?  Just ask Morris garage, Peugeot, Renault, et
al in addition to the accessory and high compression engine USA companys.
Needed the ooooomph to crank those 10:1 engines and drive those accessories.
Have a 6v system?
You gotta OLD car,  Drive it like it was meant.  Enjoy it.  Do the tuneups.
etc etc.  If it dont start, dont run right, etc, you have problems because
millions had 6v systems and ran OK when they were sold originally.
Otherwise get an MSD distributor, 12 v alt or gen, etc and do it 'right'.
Convert it to a 12v neg ground breakerless ignition.  Anything else is a band
aid approach?

All IMHO

L Larson
In soon to be Scenic W. Michigan, now covered dirty straw colored grass