[FWDLK] Generator Regulator

I just finished doing a rebuild on the Red Ram in my '58 Coronet, and got
most of the engine compartment rewired with a self made hiring kit.
Overall the whole thing looks pretty good.  My only problem is with the
Generator Regulator.  It seems that when I hook up the wires as shown in
the service manual, smoke begins to come from the generator after a few
minutes of idling.  In addition, the battery won't hold a charge any longer
either and the voltage drops to around 5 volts after turning off the
engine.  Does anyone have some photos of their generator regulator in hopes
of showing me which wires go where.  Could the regulator be malfunctioning?

Thanks,
Chris
Wilmington, DE