Re: [FWDLK] Imperial Wheel cover noise

I'm guessing you're running radials, Andy. They make
them handle so much sweeter but that's one drawback.
The rims of that era, particularly the big Imp rims
with the cutouts, were not designed for the level of
flex that accompanies radials.

I've heard stories about those big white spoke wheels
from pickups & SUVs not only working well for this but
accepting the stock wheel cover as well. Apparently
the wheel cover hides the non-stock wheel passably for
street use. Never done this myself but IIRC there is a
Ford truck that uses the same size & bolt pattern as
an Imperial.

Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
'57 Plymouth Sport Suburban

--- Acarpel@xxxxxxx wrote:

> The Fwd Look Imps were famous for their oversized
> cool brakes.  They were cooled by perforations in
> the hubcaps.  Trouble is they weakened them and now
> I have this problem.  I have a number #2 65 Imp.
> coupe with stock versions of the hubcaps.  When the
> car moves the wheels seem to flex and the hubcaps
> make a soft noise that's more annoying that my
> father munching his cereal at breakfast.  I have
> tried moving the hubcaps around to different
> wheels but the noise still stays.  I was
> thinking of storing the stock wheel covers and
> getting racing discs from Whitney just for cruising.
>  Of course this may look stupid. Does any one know
> how to correct this noise?
> Thanks.

De nada.