[FWDLK] Follow Up Info

Wow, what a great group of people.

I sent out my "sad tale" meesage at 9:30 this morning
and I've already received over a dozen responses from
members with help, ideas, suggestions, resources,
offers to phsically help in our repair and even an
offer of a free engine and it's only 1:30 now.  All
this in four hours.

Again, what a great group of people.

Jason hasn't seen any of your responses yet since he
is in school.  I'm positive that he will be very happy
after he realizes (like I now have) that all may not
be lost.  The first few responses have already
instilled a feeling of excitement and optimism about
getting Jason's car back up and running.  They have
also given me a sense of renewed spirit and
encouragement.  Thank you all so much.

Several of you asked where we are located.  About 35
miles west of Chicago, in the Fox River Valley town of
Geneva, Illinois (soon to be famous in a new Paul
Newman/Tom Hanks movie which is being filmed here next
week - but that's another story).  (By the way John in
WI, we have pretty much the same winter weather as
you. Admittedly not as much snow, but Chicago winters
are no picnic.  I chuckle when I see your weather
reports and I know Brian in MI has it pretty rough
too!)

Sorry, I digress....So, we're in the Chicago area.  As
for the "engine being shot"...When I got to where the
car was stopped, it was cooled down completely.  We
filled up the radiator, started it up and continued to
fill.  When we started it, I could hear a fairly loud
knocking coming from the lower engine (not lifter
noise).  It quieted down some, but didn't sound good.
Turned it off, checked the oil - oil was
blackened/charred, very thick AND all the way up the
dip stick.  Obviously, all the antifreeze was in the
oil pan (although it was heavy thick oil, not creamy
like usual when mixed with antifreeze??).  I figure
head gasket or cracked head but the mechanic said
severe lower engine problems and I took his word at
this point.  His $3000 guestimate probably is high as
some of you said.  All the mechanic did was start it
up briefly and listen to it.  No other tests were
performed. His opinion is based on hearing my story,
looking at the oil and listening to the engine run
briefly, nothing else.

I have no way of knowing how long it ran hot as Jason
had three other kids with him, cruising at 60-65,
windows down and radio on.  He's too inexperienced to
notice any subtle signs of a problem until it was too
late. He was on the open road for about 60 miles.

So there you have it.  Thanks again for all of your
help.

Joe and Jason
56 Belvedere(s) hopefully ;)