From: David Homstad <DHomstad@xxxxxxx>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] A Sad Tale
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 22:01:38 -0500

Joe,

One thing to keep in mind if you plan on one of these new 318 blocks, after
1961 the crankshafts are not compatable with your transmission. Since these
engine blocks come without cranks, I think a 61 or earlier 318 crank should
fit. Or you could update to a 727 Torqueflight and use a 62 to 66 318
crank. I am not sure if later redesigned 318s use the same crank.

If you are looking for the least expensive option and are not interested in
originality, try to find a good healthy low mileage late 318 with tranny
and put in both. Should only cost a few hundred to 500 bucks. These will
probably be in better condition the the originals anyway.

Sounds like it is time for Jason (and everybody else with teenagers
starting to drive) to get lessons on car maintenance. Things like fluid
level checks, leaks, tire pressure, monitoring gages, strange noises,
changes in the feel of the car's handling, brakes, engine performance, and
what to do with each situation. Somethings you can limp along with to the
next phone or service station, and sometimes you need to pull over ASAP.
AAA Plus is a very good idea if you are driving an older vehicle. I have
used it several times.

Dave Homstad