[FWDLK] Another sad story

This is not ForwardLook related, but I think it is interesting. My neighbor is a professional body man and does a few home projects for extra cash. Today, I went over to visit and he showed me his current project, a 96 Neon. A friend of his son brought it over for repair. This car has 2 upper motor mounts and one lower, with the engine mounted crosswise. The lower mount went bad, allowing the engine to pivot a couple of inches back and forth on the upper 2. As the engine hammered the bottom of the core support, the spot welds of the support broke and the sheet metal flexed until fractured. The brace holding the hood latch would move down when the hood was closed, making it difficult to latch the hood. Finally, while the car was driving down the road, the hood came unlatched, flew back, and cracked the windshield and dented the roof. At this point, the young man owning the car decided it was time to get it fixed. He never knew until that time that the loud thunking and banging he had ignored for a long time was caused by the bad motor mount.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500