Re: [FWDLK] brake problem?

You need to check that you have enough free play between the pedal linkage and
the master cylinder piston.  This is necessary to ensure the master cylinder
piston returns past the relief port that lets the pressure escape back to the
reservoir.
Jim

Edward X. Petrus wrote:

> Help needed from all you brake experts!  I've never had this problem
> before, or even heard of it.
>
> I asked several weeks ago about DOT 5 brake fluid, and the proper bleeding
> sequence, for my 1957 DeSoto Firedome.  I elected to USE the DOT 5, and
> installed new shoes, springs, rear wheel cylinders, and a rebuilt master
> cylinder.  The front wheel cylinders where replaced about 5 years ago and
> seemed alright.
>
> Lots of bleeding got me a good pedal (Whew!  That DOT 5 is expensive!)  I
> had all the shoe adjusters set properly, and everything seemed OK.  Drove
> the car for perhaps 5 miles, stop and go, local traffic.  The pedal got
> higher and higher on its own.  When I parked the car, you couldn't even
> press down on the pedal, and the car wouldn't drift downhill in neutral,
> and barely moved in drive.
>
> I jacked each wheel up and sure enough, couldn't turn them.  No
> self-adjusters, so the only thing I could think of was to open the brake
> line fitting coming out of the master cylinder to release the
> pressure.  Worked like a charm.  Drove the car several more miles, stopping
> and starting as much as I could, and it seems perfect.
>
> Was this a fluke?  Is there a defect in the master cylinder?  Air?  Do I
> have to worry about it happening again?
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks!
>
> Ed Petrus
begin:          vcard
fn:             Jim  Carpenter
n:              Carpenter;Jim
adr:            CollectorsAutoSupply.com;;Box2076/1510 Main Street;Oroville;Wa;98844;USA
email;internet: car@xxxxxxxxx
tel;work:       1-250-767-1974
tel;fax:        1-250-767-3340
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0