Re: [FWDLK] Engine Info

I have a 56 plymouth and I have been researching engine combos because I
plan to put a 354 hemi from a dodge in it so here is what I have found out
so far.
The 260/270 was a dodge engine based on the hemi and actually shares the
same block and engine mounts as the hemi. (as a matter of fact you can make
it a hemi simply by changing the pistons and bolting hemi heads onto it).
A 270/260 polyhead engine is not the same as a 277 polyhead and uses
different engine mounts. They appear to be the same physically but are
welded to the frame about 1 inch farther back. But I have not 100% verified
this fact. These measurements are from measuring my 56's 277 mounts vs. the
hemi block I have and assuming that since the 270 & hemi share blocks then
the mounts are the same.
The 277 was a plymouth only engine introduced in 56. It was basically a
redesign of the 270 poly. Later iterations include the 301 and 318.
The 318 polyhead was produced through 1967 and should bolt right into a 56
that had a 301 or 277 without any major modification (if any at all).
The polyhead 318 is not the same as the later 318 (used from the late 60's
up to today) but I don't know how easily they interchange. (ScottH can
probably tell you that).

You can identify the 3 engines as follows:
260/270 has scalloped valve covers with big round scallops.
The 277/301/318 also has scalloped valve covers but they are sharp scallops
that look kind of like a saw tooth.
The later 318 has no scallops just plain rectangular valve covers.

This is just what I have found out so far as I have only had the car since
Feb. If anyone out there knows different or if any of this is wrong please
let us 2 Joe's know!

                    joe frega
                    <joefrega@xxxxxxxxx        To:     L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    >                          cc:
                    Sent by: Forward           Subject:     [FWDLK] Engine Info
                    Look Mopar
                    Discussion List
                    <L-FORWARDLOOK@list
                    s.psu.edu>

                    05/13/01 04:22 PM
                    Please respond to
                    joe frega

Hi all,

Once again, I'd like to personally thank everyone who
responded to our "sad tale".  So many of you have been
so helpful.  Thank you all.  Collectively, you have
restored encouragement and optimism that Jason's car
will run again - somehow!

I'm still looking into several options at this point.
Here's today's questions.

Will an older 318 or 270 fit into the 56 plymouth
without modification? (motor mounts, etc)

Is a six cylinder and option also?  We have power
steering, not brakes, no air.

Will the trans from our 277 fit a 318 or 270 or do I
need to get a trans with another engine if it is a
diferent size?

So far I have found three engines in various state of
repair/quality.  I'm still looking for more options
but I guess I need to know how flexible with engines I
can be (trans fitting, engine fitting, etc.).  Some
have suggested to just get any engine/trans that runs
good and put it in (like a 283 C---y or something.  Is
this possible.  How hard to modify drive train?

As you can see, I need some more knowledge and
information before I buy anything.

Thanks again.

Joe & Jason
56 Belvedere(s) (soon!!)