Re: [FWDLK] It started!

I don't know what the factory setting was on those but I would definitely
try bumping the timing up. It should help it idle. How old is the gas in
the car?

                    Dan Morton
                    <morton@xxxxxxxxxxx        To:     L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    du>                        cc:
                    Sent by: Forward           Subject:     [FWDLK] It started!
                    Look Mopar
                    Discussion List
                    <L-FORWARDLOOK@list
                    s.psu.edu>

                    05/20/01 08:38 PM
                    Please respond to
                    morton

After 10 months of sitting and waiting, my rebuilt 230 flathead roared to
life today.  It was a bad battery, after all.  However, I wasn't able to
get
it to idle -- I had to hold it to about 800rpm (I'm guessing) to keep it
running.  With the vac advance disconnected, I set the timing for about 2
degrees BTDC.  I tried adjusting the mixture, but it had little effect.  (I
should mention that I replaced the carburetor as well.)

It seems to run pretty smoothly -- the transmission is still out of the
car,
but I wouldn't think that the lead shaft would add enough damping load to
keep it from stalling at idle to be responsible.

Anyone have any guesses, as to why I can't keep it from stalling?

        adTHANKSvance,
        Dan
        '55 Savoy