[FWDLK] wiring/generator woes

Ok, I rewired my 56 savoy 6cyl (and I thought I did a good job). Also added
a new voltage regulator. I started it up tonight and I got smoke out of the
generator. I shut the car off and realized that I never polarized it, not
that it would make that kind of problem. So I jumped the Batt and Arm
Terminals (with the key in the on position) and I got an arc. Should I have.
I think all the wires are hooked up correct. The Bat wire is going to the
pos side of the starter selonoid. The Arm wire goes from the arm post on the
regulator to the large post on the generator and the fld wire goes from the
fld terminal on the regualtor to the small post on the generator. There are
no markings on the generator, but since the terminals are two different
sizes, I don't think I crossed them. Also, now when I turn the ignition key
off, the car does not shut off.
So any ideas where to start looking. This is a rebuilt generator from last
summer, the volt reg is new. I can handle that the generator is fried and I
need to get it rebuilt again, but I don't know why it fried. Is it because I
didn't polarize it.

Hopefully someone will have some ideas.

Thanks,
Nick