[FWDLK] Turning diameter

My '55 shop manual states that the turning diameter is 40' plus change.  Now
I'm wondering what that means:  What part of the car circumscribes this arc?
Is it the tip of the front and rear fenders on the outside of the turn?  The
inside?  The vehicle center line?

(Trying to convince the boss to let me build a garage -- geven the property
and the neighbors, the answer could be a deciding factor...)

        Dan
        '55 Savoy