[FWDLK] Front shocks for 57/58 Plymouth

I have had my 57 Plymouth Savoy in driving condition for about a year now
and the more I drive it the more I find to fix or replace.

The latest quest has been front shocks.  To say the least the original 1957
shocks do not perform up to standards so I began my search for new front
shocks.  I first checked with the local Pep Boys where I have found many
parts for my 57 Plymouth.  Much to my surprise the salesmen who had helped
me in the past said that Pep Boys had closed down their special order
program.  The interesting thing was I found the front shocks listed in their
shock parts book - it listed a Gabriel Pro Ryder #82072 but he said he could
not order them.  I then went to Advance Auto and the sale person there spent
much time trying but he too could not get the shocks.  Next stop was NAPA
here again the sales person spent some time with me but could not find the
correct shock for my 57 Plymouth.  I had given up and was on my way home to
check the Whitney catalog when I saw an Auto Zone so I stopped.  A young man
could not believe what I was looking for and did not think he could help but
when he put it in the computer up came the Gabriel #82072 front shock.
Needless to say I ordered them and should have them by next Tuesday 29 May
01.

I would like to note that each store used their computers and only Auto Zone
listed a shock for the 57 Plymouth.  I also discovered the same front shock
was used for years 57 to 61 and the Dodge Dart up to 61 used the same shock
(info provided by NAPA).

I am still surprised at how many parts are still available for our Forward
Look car from the parts stores.  When I got home I also checked in the
Whitney catalog and found the shocks were listed but at twice the price I
paid at Auto Zone with no shipping costs.

Harry in NC
57 Plymouth
58 Plymouth (work in progress)