[FWDLK] Alternator question

While I was trying to tighten the positive battery cable on my '61 Chrysler
with the motor running, I lifted it off the battery post and the motor
immediately stalled.

I was under the impression that once an alternator-equipped vehicle was up
and running, the alternator would supply all the electrical needs even if
the battery was completely removed.  As a matter of fact, I have done that
when a car I had a few years ago needed a new battery and I drove it to the
shop without its battery in it after having jump starting it.

So since the Chrysler died when the cable was removed from the battery, does
that mean I have a bad something-or-other that needs attention?   Or is this
something that was typical of 60's cars?  I did check the alternator for
proper output, and the voltage regulator was regulating ok, and the battery
was up to full charge.

Any ideas, or words of wisdom?

Karl
<61 300G>