Re: [FWDLK] max tire sizes

In a message dated 06/11/01 12:03:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>    1.) Has anyone gotten their cars aligned lately? I can't seem to find a
>  shop in southern California that will even touch a 1955 car.  I have had
the
>  car for 10 years and still no luck.
>      2.) What is the largest tire I can put on my stock rim? Coker sells the
>  original 710-15 but I wanted to get something a little more meaty.

Having had my 56 Plymouth wagon for 9 yrs now, I had early taken it to old
time shop with long local history.  After 3 yrs they be gone gone gone,
closed the doors, retired.   Second old timer likewise.  Fortunately the
alignment has held, no tire wear etc.  Third shop recommended would not touch
it without extensive work. never went back.
I have on occasion used a large shop that does work on trucks.  If U talk
nice they MAY also work on your 55, its suspension is not all that different
from older pickups.  Worth a try.
Tire  & rim sizes  see  www.coker.com
Per my many eariler posts stock rims are only good for a small increase in
size, radials are even worse, they may interfere with rear wheel well
openings, and very likely with skirts.
My 79 Cordoba  rims (metric) cause just enough balloon to sidewall of my
P205/75/15 Firestone 480's that I cant use the skirts with an inner lip, nor
a wheel cover due to metric.
Next step is back to OE bias ply wide whites.
Gotta remember this is all fun....
But your new addition will be, in another year, pure fun!  Enjoy.

LARS

In scenic West Michigan USA