[FWDLK] Tranny update conversions

Garret,

The final drive ratio for you current PowerFlight 2 speed is the same as the
TorqueFlight 3 speeds 1:1. The main advantage of a TorqueFlight is improved
reliability and improved acceleration through 1st and 2nd. Only an overdrive
will reduce freeway engine rpm. You have lots of tranny choices:

1. Cast iron TorqueFlight, 56 - 61. Comes with brake drum on the tail. No
adapter required. Could use a 57 TF drive shaft with out change.
2. Aluminum 727A TorqueFlight. Needs an adapter, which is readily available
from multiple sources. Must be from an "A" series engine. Sub choices:
a. 1962 Chrysler tail extension has the emergency brake drum.
b. 62 - 64 can be cable shifted to use original push buttons.
c. Latter 3 speed TorqueFlights.
3. Chrysler 518 overdrive. Uses same adapter as 727A
4. GM PowerGlide, TH350, TH400, and overdrives 700R4, 4L60-E, 4L80-E. Needs
an adapter that is available.

All of these will require some modifications, such as drive shaft length,
drive shaft change from "ball and trunnion" to slip yoke, tranny mount
relocation, tranny oil cooler if you don't already have one, shifter and
kick down linkage mods, etc. You could also swap your 2 speed pushbutton
cluster to a 57 3 speed button cluster.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500