Re: [FWDLK] freeze plugs

While I am not familiar with the old mopar style freeze plug I do have one
word of advice. Use a little rtv sealer on the plug to help seal it when
you do install it. It never hurts. I have a feeling I will be learning
about the old mopar freeze plugs which I've heard so many wonderful things
about (LOL) when I begin my hemi build up....hopefully soon!!

                    joe frega
                    <joefrega@YAHOO.COM        To:     L-FORWARDLOOK@LISTS.PSU.EDU
                    >                          cc:
                    Sent by: Forward           Subject:     [FWDLK] freeze plugs
                    Look Mopar
                    Discussion List
                    <L-FORWARDLOOK@list
                    s.psu.edu>

                    07/08/01 03:59 PM
                    Please respond to
                    joe frega

Hi all,

Well, I finally got out today (in the 90+ degrees) to
crawl under the old 56 blevedere (in the gravel) to
try and replace the three missing freeze plugs (I've
had them for four weeks now).  I had two types,
concave and cup style.  The concave style fit in the
hole snug, but not tight.  The cup style would not
work due to the depth of the hole being too shallow
before you hit the inner rim.  Make any sense???

In any case, my mechanic thought that the plugs should
fit very snug and be somewhat hard to get in.  He also
gave me a freeze plug tool to pound them in with.
Well, they fit snug, but certainly not tight enough to
stay in place by themselves (I pushed them in with my
finger until they bottomed out).  I'd think that you
need to hit them pretty hard to flatten out the arch
to wedge them into the whole.  Does this make sense?
It looks like the plugs that are still in place are
dented in the middle like they were beat on pretty
hard.  This is the only way I can see them staying in,
unless I have the wrong size (1 5/8").

Unfortunatly, I can't get enough room under the car to
swing the hammer with any force (not to mention that
one is right behind the exhaust and I can't hit it
directly at all).

I think I am giving another list member a run for
"slowest mechanic" and possible adding "most novice
mechanic" as well.

Any words of wisdom??

Joe and Jason
56 Belvedere(s)(still stalled)