Re: [FWDLK] Paint Question

The following all depends on whether your car is a daily driver and/or sits
out doors, which it sounds like it does. I had my Chevelle painted by maaco
back in high school and it looked great...for a couple years. Within two
years the paint on the hood started spiderwebbing and by the time four
years had past a wax and polish job wouldn't even help. My sister had a
civic she painted and the exact same thing happened. As far as body work
and inhibiting rust, that's debatable. They will just slop a bunch of
fiberglass bondo in the rot holes, sand it, and paint it. So it will
continue to rust behind the paint and pop back through in 4 years or so
worse than ever before. I pulled a lump of bondo that weighed about 5 lbs
(not an exaggeration) from my fender when I finally got around to restoring
the car right.

The maaco special is more for a car that you want to get a few more years
out of without driving around a rusted beater.

Now that being said, the paint job accomplished what I wanted back in high
school & college. It looked great and I could cruise in style. I had NO
idea I would still have this car today (15 years later). So if you plan on
keeping it and eventually restoring it I would wait and do it right. Even a
beat up FL car is cooler than those little hondas with big wings!!! LOL But
if you just want to look good and cruise in style and will definitely be
selling the car in a couple years go ahead and have fun.

                    Scott H
                    <kneedrager@HOTMAIL        To:     L-FORWARDLOOK@LISTS.PSU.EDU
                    .COM>                      cc:
                    Sent by: Forward           Subject:     Re: [FWDLK] Paint Question
                    Look Mopar
                    Discussion List
                    <L-FORWARDLOOK@list
                    s.psu.edu>

                    07/10/01 10:22 AM
                    Please respond to
                    Scott H

Like Dave said If I were buying it I would prefer to get it as it sits now
so  I could see what I am getting.
If I already owned it and was not planning on doing it right any time soon
think the Maaco route is a good way to go. Would you rather drive what you
have now or a car with a "decent" paint job, look at the shops work and you
decide.  From what I have seen a Maaco or Earl Schieb job always looks like
a car that was painted but diffetrent people like different things.  I
myself am considering having my F-150 shot my Maaco for a$200 special as
opposed to having it buffed and waxed for $100 but I am afraid that I may
not be happy with the look so I am not doing anything right now.
If you are planning on selling it you wont be able to win.
about 4 years ago I had a Chevy that my Father in law left behind when he
moved to florida, car ran great but looked like s**t.  Had it for sale for
weeks, everyone that looked at it commented that the paint was faded and
worn so no one wanted it.  So I take it to Maaco for a $300 special. Put it
back in the paper and guess what, people come to look at it and comment on
the paint, but this time they are complaining that they did not wan it
because it was repainted!  Keep in mind that this was a $800 car.
Bottom line is do what will make you happy. If you are doing it for resale
it may or may not help.
Scott

>From: Garrett <TheBulkster@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
>To: L-FORWARDLOOK@LISTS.PSU.EDU
>Subject: [FWDLK] Paint Question
>Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 02:02:13 -0400
>
>I'm considering painting my 57 Dodge, both because it needs it, and
because
>it will probably help it sell (of course, I'll probably like it so much
>after its painted, I won't want to sell it).  Due to the fact that I'm in
>college and my job doesn't pay me diddly, I'd like to take a cheap, yet
>quality route.  My question is, should I use Sears Weatherbeater, or
should
>I go with the Dutch Boy premium series?  AND, should I use a brush or a
>roller?
>HA HA, just kidding.
>
>But seriously, I was just curious if anyone had any experience in dealing
>with a place such as Maaco, and how things went.  A previous owner said a
>repaint at Maaco would run around $325, and that would cover some bodywork
>repairs as well as removal of all chrome/stainless trim, and I think maybe
>even the bumpers for painting.  The paint job doesn't have to be award
>winning, I just want to get a layer of something on the car to inhibit
rust
>from starting/spreading.  Like I said, I'm just looking for any feedback,
>positive or negative, and/or any suggestions of other places that might do
>quality job for someone with a budget like I have.  I live in the
Columbus,