[FWDLK] melting wires

As you say, your charging system/wiring has a problem.  Probably the simplest
way to determine what is causing the problem is to disconnect devices one at
a time when the engine is not running/charging.  I suggest you spend a few
bucks and replace that wire with one having a fuse of appropriate size, and
buy a box of spare fuses to replace them as they blow during your trial and
error search.

and-
WIRES DO NOT MELT.
Plastic insulation melts.
Plastic insulation catches fire if it gets too hot.
Unless it is a current day automotive wire covered with a
   fire resistant plastic.
50's and earlier cars had metal conductors covered with woven cotton fabric
   insulation and it was often fire resistive.
Replacement wire and harnesses from Rhode Island Wiring uses said material.
It may smoulder or char, but it wont burst into flame or melt.
IMHO anyone (and plenty do) using hardware and discount store plastic
insulation wiring is building trouble into their car.  Been there, done that.
Rotsa Ruck-

LARS

In scenic West Michigan USA