[FWDLK] 1958 Imperial push-button transmission controls

[FWDLK] 1958 Imperial push-button transmission controls

Can anyone on the list offer some advice on what is missing in my
transmission controls for my '58 Imperial?  As you know, to activate the
 starter in this car, you have to push the Neutral button.  But after
the car is running, whenever I put it in neutral, the starter engages
briefly as I push the button, which grinds the flywheel and is not good.
  I want to keep the car original, so I do not want to install a
separate starter switch.  Could it be that one or more rubber bumpers or
 felt cushions is missing in the push button mechanism?  Anyone else
ever have this problem before on a '57 or '58?  Thanks in advance for
any advice!

Pete Phillips
Ector, Texas
'58 Crown Coupe