[FWDLK] Electronic ignition

Group,
I had a discussion with a co-worker who knows a lot more than me about
engines. The subject was electronic ignition conversion of old cars. His
point of view is that full electronic ignition (breakerless Pertronix style)
for our old cars is going a bit too far. He stated that tuning points was
not a difficult job, provided you have easy access to the distributor (as it
is the case with a '58 Plymouth) and needs only to be done every 5000 miles
or so. In his view however, a major upgrade of our old ignition system would
be a transistorized ignition, which gives more power to the distributor, and
can be easily hidden to retain the original look. I must admit I'm a bit
confused about it all. What's your opinion on this and what type of
"transistorized ignition" could be used ?
Thanks.

Vincent Van Humbeeck (France, 120 miles north of Paris)
'58 Plymouth Belvedere Sport Coupe