[FWDLK] A Happy Ending (we hope)

Hello everyone,

I sincerely hope everyone is getting somewhat back to
normal after our tragedy.....

Jason's car began running again this past Wednesday
(first time since May).  A used 318 installed, tuned
up and refurbished with all the good parts from the
blown 277 (carb, fuel pump, starter, etc.)  It's too
soon to tell for sure, but the engine seems pretty
strong.  BTW the 277 had a completely destroyed #8
piston - all kinds of metal parts in the oil pan.
Only probelm withh the swap was that the oil pan from
the 318 wouldn't fit - it hit the linkage.  Swapped
the 277 pan and it fit fine.  The other thing is that
the power flight trans from the 318 is very different
than the 277 and also would not fit.  Had to leave the
277 trans in the car with the new 318 (from a 59
suburban).

There are a few quirks - the rearend is making a very
noticible noise while cruising at a steady rate (30
mph).  Noise goes away during acceleration or
breaking.

The starter (newly rebuilt) really grinds bad, seems
like trouble engaging, kicks out hard with a whine...

The car starts with the button in "drive" - very
dangerous, I suspect a faulty neutral switch or not
wired correctly when engine changed.

Any thoughts on these three things???

Joe and Jason (running again so far)

Now to the important things:  see my next email