[FWDLK] Calendar Photo Requirements

Hi All,

I've gotten a lot of questions about digital photos for the calendar.
Simply put, we absolutely can NOT use any digital photos nor printouts from
digital pictures.  The resolution simply is not high enough to use for
printing, no matter what resolution or quality the digital camera uses.  All
entries must be in the form of prints from a film-type camera...  Sorry, but
there can be NO exceptions.

You can submit your vehicle(s) by sending the following information via U.S.
Mail (please no emails -- I explain why below)

1) Your favorite photgraph(s) of your vehicle(s). Emailed photos are not an
acceptable quality for printing, so I need to scan all photographs at a very
high resolution. All photos accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped
envelope will gladly be returned after December 1st. Photos of completed
cars are well as works-in-progress, and "before" restoration pictures are
all eligible. If you were not the photographer, please make sure you have
the rights to reproduce the photgraphs for publication.

2) A description of your vehicle. Please include:
- the year/make/model
- when you purchased the vehicle
- at least one interesting story about your vehicle

The fine print:
- "Feature" vehicles from previous years' calendars are not eligible. I'd
like to let everyone's vehicle get a chance to be a "Calendar Girl" =)
- All entries are property of The Forward Look Network, and by submitting
your vehicle for the contest, you give us the right to use your vehicle in
the calendar and/or for the web site.
- You must be a current member of the Forward Look Mailing List.
- Deadline for entries is October 28th, 2001 or closely thereabouts.

Some hints for getting a good photo:
- Quality of the PHOTOGRAPH is as important as the quality of the car!
- Don't cut off the front or rear of the car.
- Watch for telephone poles, trees, etc. "growing" out of the car. Aim for a
clean background.
- Make sure the car is in front of you, and the sun is BEHIND you. Nothing
is worse than having shadows all around the bottom/side of the car in the
foreground of the photo.
- Having people in the photo is usually a negative.
- Try to avoid getting non-FWDLK vehicles in the photo.
- Look for an interesting (but not overpowering) background. Have a
waterfront? Skyline? Covered bridge? Old soda fountain/general
store/five-and-dime/vintage garage?
- Remember to focus, etc., as you would with any nice picture.

Tips from Ron Waters:

- Look for an interesting location. Art Deco diners are a favorite of mine.
But shoot at a time when there aren't many cars in the parking lot, which
will distract from you getting a nice shot.
- Another hint : avoid shooting around noon time on bright sunny days. I
see way too many pix of cars with the grill and front end in shadow and the
top of the car washed out from the sun hitting it directly. The best
lighting is when there is a faint shadow created by cloudy conditions with a
hint of sun peeking thru.
- Also, try different angles. Bring a chair or small stepladder with you
when you shoot on location. And shoot lots of film. It'll give you a
better choice.

Send the photos & info to:

FORWARD LOOK CALENDAR ENTRIES
Dave Stragand