Re: [FWDLK] Starter for my Seneca

Do you have an auto electric shop near by?  That would be your best bet.
They would be able to rebuild your starter and charge you only for the parts
they would be replacing, plus labour.  I have been doing that for almost
thirty years and have had better luck going that route than purchasing
rebuilt units from a parts store.   The longer the shop has been around the
better.  (Also, it seems the grungier the shop the better, too.)

Do not know where you live or where your car was built, but if you have an
American-built Dodge Dart Seneca, your starter will NOT interchange with the
1962 and later reduction gear starter.  Your starter is a direct drive unit
and the two starter designs take different ring gears.  The differences in
the ring gears are in diameter and tooth count.

Using a direct drive starter on a reduction-gear type ring gear will result
in cracked and broken gears on the Bendix drive as the ring gear is too
small (plus the incorrect tooth count).  Not sure what would happen using a
reduction gear starter on a direct drive ring gear, but I suspect it would
result in broken teeth on the ring gear plus the starter clutch.

Canadian-built Chrysler products used the reduction gear starter on 1962 and
later V8 models, but the slant six models used the direct drive starter
through 1966.

Bill
Vancouver, BC