[FWDLK] Getting choked up

This weekend, the world's slowest auto mechanic finally got around to
checking out why the choke was not opening as quickly as it should.
Thanks to Mike Higgins suggestion, I investigated the tube from the
manifold to the bakelite housing -- it was indeed loose, and apparently
the lack of draw from the manifold resulted in the coil not warming as
it should.  I addressed this, but then I was struck by something else:
I heard a "sucking" sound I hadn't noticed before.  I put my finger at
the base of the choke housing, and could feel suction from a round hole
at the base.  When I capped it with my finger, the choke valve deflected
slightly (I forget which direction now), and this was repeatable.

I dug out my other carburetor from the basement -- this carb had a plug
in this location!  I'm guessing that, when I had the carburetor
currently on the car rebuilt, the guy forgot to plug it -- after all,
the hole is too big to permit unfiltered air to enter the carburetor.
Am I correct in this?  But then, I have another question:  Since my shop
manual indicates there's a piston in the choke assemble that traverses
the cylinder leading to the hole -- wouldn't plugging it interfere with
its operation?  What's the purpose of this piston anyway?  And how come,
when I take the cap off the permatex, I get it all over myself?!  Oops
-- unrelated question.

        adTHANKSvance,
        Dan, TWSAM
        '55 Savoy