From: The Holmgren's
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2001 2:15 PM
Subject: Re: left vs right

James Wilson wrote:
Another nice thing about the rearend-- a few years ago
I blew a posi (yea I know thats the GM term) on a 73 Dodge
1/2 ton and found that the 57-59 maybe later will fit so
using that I would assume that the 3rd member out of the
pickups of that era would fit our fin cars
Jim

3 years ago I re-discovered my spare 57 rearend. Since it was about
time for that particular piece to be done for my resto project
I dug it out. A little effort expended and my brain woke up to the
fact that that unit was a suregrip. I had removed it from a 57
NewYorker 4dr back in 75 and stored it away.
Took it to a real good 8-3/4 expert and had him go through it
and prep it for my finishing it up for my 300-C.
He had (demanded) me see what I had brought him before he completed
the job. I had a 57 housing (tapered axles and all) with a 1970
suregrip center section in it. I KNOW the car I took the
assembly out of. Junked it myself back in 75, bought it for a
few spare parts and sold the running motor to a bud.
(that project was a real humdinger, and another story for some
other time)

SO, the thing here is it is possible that ANY 8-3/4" center section
should work in ANY vintage 8-3/4" housing.

--
Paul Holmgren
Hoosier Corps #33, L-6