[FWDLK] Engine knock

Hi all.
A few weeks ago I started up my fully rebuilt 57 Fury V-800 318 (back page of this years FWDLK calendar) for the first time, which is installed in my rebuilt Fury chassis with Torqueflite trans.
First impressions were good news, except for an engine noise that at first sounded like it was coming from the fuel pump area. However after trying other fuel pumps, and then investing in a mechanics stethoscope, it was apparent that the noise was actually coming from the sump, and there is absolutely no noise whatsoever coming from the head area. And the noise was getting worse the longer I ran the engine.
I have run the engine a total of 3 times, on seperate days, and every time, the engine purred like a kitten on initial start up, sounds perfect, and then the noise comes along after about 30 seconds.
I had the engine rebuilder come and listen, and again it ran real smooth for 30 seconds until the noise started, and then we ran it for maybe 2 minutes while he was tring to figure out where the noise was coming from. We removed plug leads hoping it would tell us which cylinder was the problem, and this did not make the noise go away. By this time the noise was sounding real nasty, so we shut it down and agreed that the engine had to come out for inspection.
Prior to initial start up I had 40 pounds pressure on cranking, and then 65 pounds when running.
My sump plug has a magnet, and when I drained the oil there was nothing apparent on the magnet.
The rebuilder removed the sump the following day, and the worst news of all is that there is nothing visible wrong with the engine. All bearing clearances are perfect, there is plenty of clearance in the sump for the oil pickup, no marks on the sump, and the crankshaft was crack tested. Everything seems OK.
We do not want to remove the heads if we don't have to, and besides, the stethoscope clearly showed that the noise was coming from down low.
The company that rebuilt my engine is a well equipped shop with a good reputation. They are scratching their heads big time!
I am hoping that some wise member in FWDLK Land has experienced this problem before, and give me some clues where to look next.
The real strange thing, and maybe the biggest clue, is that this noise comes along only after about 30 seconds running from cold.
Thanks in advance for any clues.
Glenn Barratt,
57 Fury,
Auckland, New Zealand.