Re: [FWDLK] 2x4 engines

--- Ray Underwood <AUNDERWOOD2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello everyone. I have had several people tell me
> that it is practically impossible to run 2 4bbls on
> the street on any kind of regular basis. Knowing
> that many of you on the list run multi-carb engines
> of several different varieties,what are some of your
> experiences with this?

Nick Nichols on this list drives his '58 Adventurer
(2x4, 361) to work (about 4 miles each way - we're
coworkers as well as friends, I'm probably the only
cab driver in America with a letter car and he just
about has to be the only cab driver in the world with
a pre-'60 Adventurer) every once in a while, and could
probably give you a good answer on that.

> I also read in a police car collectors' manual that
> one of the buying restrictions for a certain major
> city in the mid fifties was up to an including the
> 383 (even with multi carbs) but to exclude hemis of
> all dimensions based on their labor intensive
upkeep.
> Any thoughts on this?

My ex-California Highway Patrol uncle tells me CHP was
extremely happy with their '56 and '57 Dodges, which
had single 4bbl 315 and 325 hemis respectively. In
fact, these cars marked the beginning of a
relationship between Dodge and the CHP that continued
for most of the next 33 years; once in a while CHP
would buy something else ('62 Newports -- that order
was placed early in the year when Dodge had yet to do
a police version of the Custom 880 -- '67 Olds 88s,
'70 Merc Montereys) but always came back to Dodge as
long as Dodge made something they could use. It was
felt that the 350 B-block (again single 4bbl, CHP used
dual carbs in early '40s Buicks and swore them off
afterward) used in '58 didn't breathe nearly as well
at freeway speeds. Bear in mind CHP does most of its
work at speeds over 40 mph, and has different
expectations of a squad from a big-city department.

> I plan to drive my hemi with 2x4s, probably not
> everyday but quite often. The commute to work is
> less than 10 miles round trip.

My gut feeling is it'd be a good thing if freeway
speeds were involved at some point during its week,
whether the work commute or something else.

=====
Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
'57 Plymouth Sport Suburban
'64 Chrysler 300-K 2dr Hardtop