Re: [FWDLK] Brake Conversion

Just did this on my '59 DeSoto.

The 68/69 Drum/Drum version of the M/C is perfect.  You will have to
grind down the tip of the pushrod about 1/8" deep for about 1/4" of
length though on either, to have it fit correctly in the bore of the new
m/c.  It will not affect changing it back for any reason.

This M/C has odd-sized fittings for the lines.  Pep Boys sells "adapter
lines" that fit these perfectly, but they're only 6" long.  I bought
them just for the adapters on them, and scrapped the original line.  I
bought standard larger-size brake line, and used the fittings from the
adapter lines on them.

You will have to flare your own lines -- be sure and double-flare the
ends.

Both lines are about 20" long, and need to follow the contour of the
original single line. Both will be 3/16 instead of 1/4.  You can use the
flare plugs on the adapter lines -- I just cut them off and reused them.

The rear port on the m/c is for the front brakes, and the front port is
for the rear brakes.  Most will have this cast into the m/c.

Run the front port on the m/c to the original junction block on the
frame.  Disconnect the rear line from the junction block, and bend it
upwards. Use an appropriate plug to seal off the old rear port on the
junction.

Run the rear port on the m/c to the rear line.  You will need an
appropriate coupler to join the lines.

Bleed it all, check for leaks, and enjoy.

Costs:
68 Roadrunner m/c - $15.99
Adapter lines - $3.00
Misc steel lines - $7