Re: [FWDLK] Carbs

Don Uhl wrote:

> David Collins wrote:

> >  Hello list.  My '59 DeSoto has been running rough lately,
> >  and I noticed that the oil level is up higher on the dipstick
> >  than when I filled it.  I believe that there is gas getting
> >  into the oil.

> Eli:
> Your carb may not be the problem with gas in the oil, you should
> check the fuel pump. If the diaphragm has a crack in it then it
> will pump gas into the oil pan.

> - Don Uhl     "Moparaholic"      http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/uhld/

You might want to see if your pump can be serviced. One of the
major concerns I have about my resto is today's fuel and its
affect on old rubber.  I have a rebuildable replacement fuel
pump. IT will get a modern materials diaphragm, ALL my rubber
fuel line parts will be EFI rated. Al this will be in place before
the first tank of gas is purchased after the car is back together.

There were tales of cars and "spontaneous combustion" involving
some of the different formulations of EPA compliant gas
experiments. Most of the cases seemed to involve older cars.

I am looking to replace the EFI rated rubber line parts on both
of my current drivers just cause they are now getting 10 years old.
Insurance, just like changing the serpentine belts every 50K
miles.

--
Paul Holmgren
Hoosier Corps #33, L-6